It was theorized that protein loss during fasting was harmful and that a fast should be supplemented with protein. Fasting with protein became known as the Opti-fast. Fasters took nothing but water and a protein drink. Sadly, several people died. Protein digestion during the fasting state created an overload of urea and the blood become acidic. In this condition, the organs become more damaged instead of healing.
To the body, fasting is a natural process. During water or juice fasting, the protein levels of the blood remain constant. Although protein is being utilized, a person fasting even 40 days will not suffer a deficiency of either protein, vitamins, minerals or fatty acids. In the breakdown of dying and diseased cells, all essential substances are available while fasting for reuse within the body. These dead cells are utilized in a systematic manner. Some diseases may take 30 day of juice fasting because it has taken that long for the body to cleanse deeply enough to bring about healing.
Protein & Fasting Points
- Protein deficiency is nonexistent in North America. You never hear of anyone being diagnosed with protein deficiency.
- Fruit and vegetable juices have water soluble highly absorbable proteins.
- The body has a store of protein, and it uses it selectively. Dying cells are the first to be used and healthy and vital tissues are the very last and will only be used as a last resort.
- Only during starvation is protein being stripped from healthy tissue to be used to survive. This may take between 30 to 80 days of water fasting to reach this point.
- The systematic searching of cells to be metabolized is crucial in the healing of cancer. A cancer cell represents protein and calories. Some cancers are so persistent that you have to force the body to choose between healthy cells and cancer cells. This requires a long fast on small portions of juice combined with days of water fasting.
- Freeform amino acids may be of value, as they do not interfere with the cleansing process. An athlete fasting to tune up the system may consider a fast supplemented with free-form amino acids.
Related Article: Muscles Maintained During Fasting